The Greek roots of the word photography translate as "writing with light." Welcome to my studio--a place to practice and illuminate good work using writing and photography.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Teacher

You dazzle me with your stories 
of alignment, and of wild things;
your forward movement into the plausible
blows my mind,
opens my skittish heart,
catapults my pen,
forces a time limit,
squeezes perfection to
bleed secrets onto the page.
I abandon my addiction
to the perfect word
to avoid the sinking feeling 
triggered by fleeting grains of sand
in your menacing timer.
You ask me to write 
about impossible things,
read aloud before I am ready
and in doing so
remind me
how small I can be,
and how big I am;
and how resistant I am to risk,
to being vulnerable.

It all leaves me hungry for
full presence in my stories, 
and the desire more than ever,

to tell them so others feel my words.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I feel drawn in, terrified, elated, and so aligned with this - as if you've been reading my mind while I begin my writing journey.

    ReplyDelete