The Greek roots of the word photography translate as "writing with light." Welcome to my studio--a place to practice and illuminate good work using writing and photography.

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Cornus nuttallii

 

We had a major storm, complete with days-long power outages in January of 2021. The vegetation is still recovering. And so the beloved Pacific Dogwood we planted 3 years ago didn't bloom last year. I have to assume the winter was too much for the young tree. But it's back in full celebration in 2022.

I know I'm not the only dogwood fan. It's well known that both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson planted them at their estates. That is, after generations of Native Americans made medicinal teas from them, and desperate Civil War doctors used them as a quinine substitute. What I learned recently, though, is that the dogwood sap is poisonous, and was used on arrow tips to poison animals.


1 comment: