The Greek roots of the word photography translate as "writing with light." Welcome to my studio--a place to practice and illuminate good work using writing and photography.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Mitchell, Oregon


I am leading a tour group, on this particular day, from our home base at Hancock Field Station to the Painted Hills in the John Day Monument, which requires a gas stop in Mitchell, leaving our small tour group to walk the 2-block-long street, visit the rummage shop and town market for half an hour.

The woman behind the counter at the market is cordial, but not friendly. I admire the store and the building out loud and ask what used to be in the upper floor visible from the front door. She informs me that the building has always been a store, a general store of sorts, and that the abandoned mezzanine used to house dry goods and clothing, that is until, "The tree huggers made us stop logging."

I cannot think of an adequate response, so I say thank you and exit the store.




No comments:

Post a Comment